Friday 25 September 2009

Housekeeping and the dog which didn't bark in the night

Any readers of this blog may have noticed the slowdown in output on the main page recently. So it's worth giving you loyal few an insight into what's been going on.

Firstly I'll get my excuses in early by explaining that I've been a bit under the (surprisingly sunny) weather - not that that means I've been preferring to top up my tan rather than to neglect my keyboard!

Not in the slightest. No, I've recently discovered a range of blog resources which have uncovered an untapped treasure trove of local blogs. Previously I could only guess at the sheer scale of the online world in Berkshire and environs, but now I've got a handle on it the volume of information and opinion out there it has taken me aback somewhat.

I've suddenly discovered a hidden well of over 1,000 identifiably local blogs to this area, and the number is growing beyond my ability to count!

The prime difficulty in this is in finding an adequate method of collecting all the sources together in a single place.

Then a bigger challenge mounts its' head: how to keep track of everything in order to collate relevant information and then synthesise it into a narrative where each side of the story can be exposed.

So what I've had to do is to take a step back and look at the problem in a different way.

This page was a starting point, in that the action of writing these things down has helped me give order to my thoughts, as it has also given me space to separate them.

The task I've set myself has quickly expanded and it's clear that some major evolutionary-scale changes were required if I was to avoid losing control of it.

While this may not initially be apparent from the main entry path, the lack of activity there should be an indicator that something is up - a matter, not of what is happening, but more one of what should have happened but has not and therefore why not - just like the dog which didn't bark in the night.

So keep your eyes wide open... changes are afoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading List